Just in time for Super bowl, we filmed and prepared one of our favorite recipes to share: choriqueso. Choriqueso is queso fundido with chorizo. It translates into: melted cheese with chorizo sausage. Are you hungry yet?
One could add poblano peppers, jalapeños, onions or regular sweet peppers, or do just a plain queso fundido (cheese only) but all versions should be served with tortillas as opposed to Swiss fondue where you dip bread cubes into the fondue. If you’re lucky enough to own a Forno Venetzia wood fired oven in your outdoor kitchen, which also has an outdoor TV room, you are in for a treat!
Our homemade wood fired cooked tortillas would be perfect to accompany our queso fundido! If you’ve never tried homemade tortillas, they are super fun and easy to do and healthier too. As for the choriqueso, it is meant to be shared, which is perfect for your Super Bowl party. Just one note: double or triple that recipe if you host any more than three of your very best friends. It is that good!
FIRE ROASTED CHORIQUESO (queso fundido with chorizo sausage)
- 2 fresh chorizo sausage removed from their casings
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese with jalapeños
- 1 cup oaxaca cheese or chihuahua cheese
- 1 ounce good tequila optional
- In a cast iron pan, cook the chorizo sausage in your Forno Venetzia oven until cooked through.
- Using a paper towel, absorb the excess fat.
- Add the tequila, put the pan back into the hearth and let reduce for about 30 seconds.
- Add the cheeses, continue cooking. Every 30 seconds, combine with a wooden spoon and continue cooking until just melted.
- Serve with our wood fired homemade tortillas and pico di gallo.