If you’re looking for an easy dessert recipe you can make in your Forno Venetzia wood fired oven, this recipe of Poor Man’s pudding, a cake or english style pudding cooked in a maple syrup and cream sauce is extraordinary.
After a few hours of cooking pizzas, when your Forno Venetzia is starting to cool down, don’t let this beautiful heat go to waste: make dessert!
Note: as mentioned in the video, sugar, fat and live flames require extra caution! Keep an eye open on that cake and sauce. This recipe should not be attempted with live flames and high temperatures.
Maple syrup Poor Man's pudding
- 540 ml maple syrup
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- Make the sauce by combining the maple syrup, cream and water in a cast iron or heat safe dish.
- Make the cake batter by combining all the other ingredients. Watch video for visual tips.
- When your Forno Venetzia cools down to about 450F - floor at about 400F, heat up the sauce until it starts bubbling - mix regularly to ensure even heat
- Drop the cake batter directly into the sauce and slide back the dish in your Forno Venetzia oven.
- Keep an eye on the cake! As soon as its starting to grill on top, cover either with a cover or aluminum foil. Turn the dish every 10 minutes. After about 25 minutes, check for doneness by entering a toothpick in the cake batter. If it comes out clean, the pudding is ready. Cook time may vary!
- Serve a la mode with vanilla ice cream, while still warm. Try to keep some for tomorrow!